Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Blue Mountain Brewery

While traveling up north for the holidays, my girlfriend and I made a visit to Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton, VA.  This brewery happened to be right on the route we were taking, so it was a convenient stop.  This brewery being right off our route had nothing to do with me choosing this route.  I swear.  The restaurant had a decent crowd for Christmas Eve, with several other travelers thinking like we did.



First off, the space is huge.  The have tons out outdoor seating with beautiful views.  Inside is very large as well, except for the bar.  It wasn't bad on Christmas Eve, but on a normal day I can imagine it's not easy grabbing a seat there.  I'm not familiar with the area, but it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.  I read some Yelp reviews beforehand, and it seems like the place is always packed.  I can't imagine it has much competition.

To go along with our beer tasting, we ordered some pretzels and cheese, the perfect compliment to a flight.  The flight gave us ten 2.5 oz samples of beer.



Of the ten, I was least impressed with the Euro Lager.  A very light body, some bitterness, and an easy drinker.  To me it was a standard Euro lager, but just not really my style.  My favorite of the day was the Barrel Aged Sensible Mole.  It started with some malt, a bit of hops, and a great flavor from the bourbon.  Very smooth and balanced.  My girlfriend, who is typically not a fan of the big barrel-aged beers, enjoyed this one.

(Photo cred to blrea)

It was a fun afternoon in Afton, VA.  Being that this is such an easy stop on the trek to PA, I'll probably be back again.  I occasionally see some beer from Blue Mountain here in Raleigh.  Overall, I'd say their lighter beers (Kolschs, pale ales, etc.) have been pretty average for me.  On the other side, I have really enjoyed several of their bigger, darker beers (Sensible Mole, Dark Hollow, and Nitro Porter).

Blue Mountain Brewery
9519 Critzer Shop Road
Afton, VA 22920

No comments:

Post a Comment