Thursday, January 29, 2015

Crank Arm Brewing

In my short time in Raleigh, Crank Arm has become one of my favorite breweries.  I have made a few stops here, including for their 1 year anniversary party this past August, and it's always a great time.  My girlfriend and I did the tour for the first time this past Sunday, to kick of Triangle Restaurant Week.



Crank Arm is located in downtown Raleigh, right in the heart of the Warehouse District.  Mike Morris, one of the co-founders and brewer, gave us the tour.  Mike gave us some great insight into the brewing process, having been a professional brewer for 16 years.  Crank Arm is not a big space (we stood in one spot for the entirety of the tour), but can pump out a ton of beer.



Some of my favorite beers in the Triangle come from this brewery, including the Unicycle Single Hop Pale Ale.  Each time the Unicycle is brewed, they use a different hop.  This time, it was Exp 342.  Unicycle is always good, and it's cool to see how using a different hop changes the beer, while keeping the other ingredients consistent.  My girlfriend had one of my favorite stouts, Motivator, that uses Videri cocoa nibs Cafe de los Muertos dark roast coffee.  She also tried two others that she really enjoyed: the Icycle and Beetaway.

(Photo cred to blrea)

While many breweries and bars in the Triangle host run clubs (such as Big Boss), Crank Arm has a bike club.  I've never attended as I'm not much of a biker, but from their online posts it seems to get a great turnout.  Crank Arm doesn't serve food, but it is very close to some great spots that you can order from.  They have menus inside for the nearby restaurants.


On January 22 at 2:22 PM, Crank Arm released a 9 month old Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, that I was able to get a hold of.  More on that later.



As mentioned in the captions, the first two photos are from Jill Knight of the News & Observer.  You can read the full article here.

319 W. Davie St
Raleigh, NC 27601


No comments:

Post a Comment