Friday, January 23, 2015

Running in 2015

I think about running far more than I think about craft beer, but up until now that has not translated into more blog posts.  In fairness, you can practically stumble in any direction here in the triangle and land in a brewery (I often do).  An easy post to start off would be what I want from running this year.

Except for a short hiccup along the way, I have been running fairly consistently for the past 8 years since I took that first step at cross country practice when I was 15.  When I started grad school, I stopped racing.  I kept running, but it was hard for me to keep a consistent training schedule and just couldn't commit to a race.  I put the miles in, but had very sporadic workouts, long runs, etc.  It's a lame reason, but I was just content with staying in shape until school was over.

School is now over.  In 2015, I want to race.  I'll start off with a 5k, and if I can get into a consistent schedule and build up my miles, hopefully a half marathon.  At the moment, I'm at roughly 30-35 miles a week on 6 days.  I feel pretty good about my fitness level.  I typically average around 7:00-7:10 per mile for a 4-6 mile easy run, but I have not been doing workouts and am not in racing shape.  I work 12 hour shifts on weekdays and often run after work on those days, but it's been tough to get a consistent schedule.  With my two-week schedule at work, it may be easier for me to run 7 days one week and 5 the next, so I think that is something I'm going to try.

I don't have strict goals for this year, but I probably should.  For now I'm aiming at averaging as close to 6 days per week as I can, building to a consistent long run of 10+ miles, building to 50 miles per week, and racing.  Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment