My past 7 weeks of workouts.
- 9.7.15 - 9.13.15
- Q1 - 5x800m w/ 2 min rest @ avg. 2:57
- Q2 - 4x1mi w/ 1 min rest @ avg. 6:18
- 9.14.15 - 9.20.15
- Q1 - 5x800m w/ 2 min rest @ avg. 2:52
- Q2 - 3mi tempo @ avg. 6:23
- 9.21.15 - 9.27.15
- Q1 - 5x800m w/ 2 min rest @ avg. 2:53
- Q2 - 4x1mi w/ 1 min rest @ avg. 6:10
- 9.28.15 - 10.4.15
- Q1 - 4x1000m w/ 3 min rest @ avg. 3:37
- Q2 - 3 mi tempo @ avg. 6:12
- 10.5.15 - 10.11.15
- Q1 - 4x1000m w/ 3 min rest @ avg . 3:35
- Q2 - 4x1mi w/ 1 min rest @ avg. 6:17
- This workout was tough. From the first step I felt sluggish. While I completed the Q1 this week, I think I pushed a little too hard and felt it later in the week.
- 10.12.15 - 10.18.15
- Q1 - 4x1000m w / 3 min rest @ avg. 3:37
- It doesn't look like much of a difference but slowing up ever so slightly from last week made a big difference. I kept my form through all the reps and tried hard to run my intervals evenly this week. This one felt great.
- Q2 - 3 mi tempo @ avg. 6:11
- 10.19.15 - Current
- Q1 - 5x800m w/ 2 min rest @ avg 2:49
Finally, I have reached the last week of Phase III. It has been a grind. This week I went back to the 800s as I wanted to gauge where I was compared to the beginning of September. I hadn't run Monday or Tuesday this week, as I worked back to back 12 hour shifts and just couldn't get out the door in the morning. Naturally I was a little sluggish for this workout but once I warmed up it felt great. I ran the last rep a little fast, 2:46, but it felt so good to finish off a workout that strong. Looking back, I ran these reps at an average of 8 seconds faster than I did when I started Phase III.
I'll be running another 5k next weekend in Wake Forest. Right now, I am definitely not at full strength because of the grind of this phase of workouts. I'll run a light tempo session early in the week, and take it easy up until the race on Saturday. Even with not being fully rested, I still expect to take a chunk of time off my 5k from May.
Looking back at that race, my mile splits were 5:33, 6:11, and 6:19. Awful. I think if you drop me right now at the start of the second mile of that race, I could go at least 6:05, 6:05, ideally 6:00, 6:00. My workouts indicate I could be close to 18:00. I'm not sure what goal to have for this race, but I'm thinking 18:30. If I can cut off 10+ seconds from May, just coming off Phase III, I'd be happy with that. Then, with another month of Phase IV and easing up a bit, even faster for a Turkey Trot as my goal race.