Monday, February 1, 2016

Year End Wrap-Up and Looking Ahead

This post is at least 4 weeks overdue, but better late than never.  While I did not run quite as many miles or quite as often as I would've liked, I am very happy with how 2015 went.  My top priority heading into last year was racing.  I ran three 5ks, improving my time each race and finishing the year with an 18:05 in December.  The weekly and cumulative miles weren't where I wanted them to be, but 18:05 is a great time for my first year back into racing.

I often took days off after working multiple 12 hours shifts in a row.  The best way for me to get around this is running in the morning.  I have always been a terrible morning runner, but my goal is to improve on that this year, getting a lot of my miles in before work.  On days I had off, I rarely ever missed a day.  I was very consistent with both getting my workouts in and making them count.  I've been pretty lucky in that when I do get out the door and onto the track, I almost always feel good during and after the workout.

The most important thing for me going forward is consistency.  My top priority is to get out the door, regardless of where I am in my training or what race I am training for.  I haven't picked my next race yet.  I'm working now to increase my mileage, hitting 40 last week.

After running 18:05 in December, my initial thought was to jump into half marathon training for the spring. After a lot of thought over the past few weeks, I have decided against that and instead to push forward with 5k training. I am so close to running my fastest ever at that distance right now, and I've never felt better.

I have restarted Daniels' 5k to 10k, with a goal of faster and longer workouts this time around, while also working my mileage up. I've got a few solid weeks of Phase II behind me. Once I clock off a few more 40 mile weeks, I'll look to schedule another 5k this Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment